Cuelendar.
After I passed the 12 Rights of Tranquility from the Temple of Enduring Silence, the last being able to reach the Void, I looked upon my graduation prize and was vexed. A sword, dull to dark grey, pitted along its semi dull edge, a name was scribed along the tang. Unable to read the script I recall taking the blade from the master of the temple in a small ceremony. Looking upon the sword first, and then to the chancellor, a question was forming upon my lips, but before I could ask the chancellor, he stopped me with a raised finger.
“This is a great day for you Market. This is a symbol of your accomplishments and in the days to come you will learn to trust in its steel,” said the chancellor.
At the moment of handing me the sword the chancellors eyes glazed over, hilt in his hand and blade in mine, I gazed upon the blades old and used surface, the script that I could only moments before not read or understand, became legible. As if swimming in an ocean, the script moved to make the word “Cuelendar” appeared. The name confused me as it was written in the infernal tongue, loosely translating to swordless, or without blade.
The last words the chancellor spoke to me while in his state, what might be called meditation was this, “You will walk the blades edge all your life, on one side is light, the other darkness. Much of your life will be sorrow and pain. Fear not as your life will be rewarded. Be hard as steel, Eschallus, the caller in the darkness.”
With that I took the sword that had no scabbard and retired to my room.
Later that night in my room as I was packing my bags to leave the temple and begin my journey, a knock came to my door.
Standing there was the chancellor, a rather young looking man, in my opinion to be the master of an orphanage. After inviting him in and offering him tea, we sat a chatted. “All my divining has revealed only this about your family Market, your mother came from the area of sand and dust named Memnoc and your father resided in a small village named Nulb. I do not know if they are still alive or if they live in the areas I just mentioned. What are your intentions if you find them?” concern furrowing the chancellor’s brow.
This very question I have asked myself many nights, “I don’t know just yet.”
“Know this, Cuelendar, there by your bed, picked you as its master. The only information my divinations revealed about the sword is this, there are two blades, twins. The other blade is lost. I believe you can somehow use this blade to find the other. We gift all our orphans when they are ready to leave and that sword has been here for a long time, waiting for someone. Curiously, what did the script say?” asked the chancellor.
“Swordless, scribed in infernal. I have never trained with a sword, what good is it going to do me? It is about as good to me as a spellbook is to a warrior,” I said shugging my shoulders. “Not to mention, it is old and pitted, probably breaking the first time I need to use it.
“Let us hope not and may your journey reveal all that you seek. I have a feeling I will see you again, although, not for a long time, till then,” with that the chancellor left.
Pondering, I wanted to ask him what he meant by “Eschallus, nightingale, the caller in darkness.” I have a feeling I will find out someday.
Only later did I understand the Chancellors cryptic message…