“If
you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near.”
—
Soban-Flammel-Ban, circa 596 C.Y.
Bakluni historian
and survivor of the Great Cataclysm
“Enter,” was all I said.
Hearing the creaking of the old
wooden door to my chambers and the mental alarm informing me that someone had
indeed entered, “My lord, I have a summons from his majesty,” nervously spoke Jonas.
“You may leave it on the night
stand Jonas, thank you, and take the silver there for your trouble,” knowing
that he needed it for his ailing father.
Standing from my desk I grabbed the
parchment, broke the kings seal and read what the king required.
“Sir Fangorn, as a ranking member of the Knights of the Hart, you
presence is required in the war room within the hour at his majesties request.”
After casting a few divinations to
discern the intent and tone of convening the war council, I knew this was of
great importance. I left my quarters, reestablished the arcane alarm in my
absence and prepared myself for an audience with the king and his council.
----
Walking past the Knights of
Furyondy standing sentry to the entrance to Belvor’s war room, I saluted my
fellow knights and entered, doors closing behind me.
Entering the octagonal room always
instilled a feeling of pride and honor in myself. The war room was extremely
large with many stone tables strategically placed around so that each facet of
a large or small campaign could be discussed in the same room, under one roof.
Each of the eight walls had been drawn and painted by a master of the cartographers
guild representing lands near and far to furyondy, some even dating back to the
time when the Great Kingdom of Aerdi ruled all lands. Battered shields hung on
the walls of fallen hero’s and enemies conquered. Skulls of monsters floated
above the mosaic floor suspended from the ceiling, manticores, dragons,
serpents and many others offering testament to the brave of Furyondy finest.
As I entered I noticed that the
meeting was over and most of the generals, nobles, magisters and priests were
leaving. Saluting to some of my fellow Knights of the Hart as they left, the
tone was clearly solemn. Approximately fifty feet into the room I could see
Belvor talking to a group of southern Furyondian nobles and clearly not happy.
Avoiding drawing attention to myself I walked to one of the tables to view some
of the documents spread upon its surface. I catch Belvor’s eye while talking to
his nobles, grabs someone next to him, whispers into his ear and he begins to
hobble to me.
My eyes immediately soften as I recognize
the man approaching me. “Grand Marshall Lysaer,” bowing and giving the due
respect he deserves.
Placing a withered hand upon my
shoulder, “It is good to see you Mirq'et, please lets sit and I shall tell you
why you are here.”
Placing his goblet on the table
after taking a small drink, “As you know there has been much disturbing
activity across the Flanness lately, none so dangerous or potentially
devastating to Furyondy as the Battle of Emeridy Meadows. The king has just
received information that the Old One to the north is sweeping around Rift
Canyon and marching upon the Shield Land from the east. This threat potentially
more devastating than the Meadows.”
This most disturbing news made my
teeth grind, “Lord Marshall, what does the King require of me.”
“Mirq'et, I remember when you
petitioned the Knights of the Hart over 30 years ago,” Lysaer placing a withered
hand on my shoulder smiling and sighing at the same time, “the Shield Lands
will fall. We sent emissaries to Lord
Holmer, Earl of Walworth and Commander of the Knights of the Holy Shielding
telling of our concerns of the mustering of Molag. Holmer dismissed it and does
not trust Belvor. You are leaving
tomorrow with a small delegation to travel to Admundfort and offer our
assistance once again, for if the Shield Lands fall then Furyondy is next.”
Sighing I take it all in.
Lysaer reaching into his robes he draws forth a parchment,
this time with the Kings personal seal, different than the last one. The last
time I received instructions like this is when I was sent away to protect Yolande
of Celene. “Open this when you get to Admundfort, the King has special need of
you.”